Monday, August 20, 2012

Robin Hood


He’s home!


Yep… Husband went out of town.  That is no fun (for me).  Especially when it’s moving week.  But I can’t complain, because I really didn’t give him a break after his DAT test.  I made him help me pack up our stuff at Grandpa’s right after his 4 hour test for two days before he went on his adventure.

It’s a Field family tradition for the guys to go on a backpacking trip every Summer.


This Summer they headed to the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho. Just the sound of that mountain range sounds miserable, so Grandpa and I stayed here.



I missed Dan so much so I’d have to remind myself of the alternative, being with him on the Sawtooths...well probably pushing grandpa in a wheelchair up the Sawtooths, no thanks.


As he started packing his backpack, he pulled out stuff I had never seen before! I felt kind of dumb since I am studying Recreation Management. :/ Bio-degradable toilet paper, white gas to light a mini stove, freeze dried meals that grow in size when you add hot water (yuck).  



He and his brothers’ backpacks were over 50 pounds.




Backpacking was a new term I learned about 11 months ago. So for my friends who hated hikes on girls camp, get this… Backpacking is where you carry your camping gear (including TENT) and food and clothes and everything ON YOUR BACK ALL DAY as you hike to your next destination to set up camp. I guess I’m still pretty clueless because I saw him packing all these old wrinkly clothes and I asked him if I could iron them. He looked at me and said, “Hunny, I’m going to be in the woods.” I told my mom because what I said because it is totally something she would have said too. The only thing she could relate Dan’s response of “…[being] in the woods” to was Robin Hood. Ha ha.  


My family never camped, let alone, backpacked, so I’m excited for my future sons to have this experience with their dad like Dan does with his. It's a highlight of Dan's summer. (Dan's dad below) 
I have to have daughters to be home with me though because I really don’t like when my husband goes out of town. (Who’s with me?)

He caught pretty views though!

 

5 comments:

  1. Haha, That's totally Matt's brother! They are a little less than 2 years apart. :) They do look a lot alike, but I'm impressed that you made the connection! I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tia I was cracking up reading this!! "In the woods"!! love it. I hate when Mitch is out of town as well. Its better to be the one who leaves than the one stuck at home alone. His trip looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picturing you pushing your grandpa up the mountain in his wheelchair hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Tia I can't believe you've never been back packing. Girls camp 4th year it's a requirement. You should go with him sometime just on a small trip. It's really fun. Logan and I went last year just on a small hike (like 2 miles) but backpacked all of our stuff up with Autumn too. It was so much fun! Where are you guys moving to now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Christa - you should let your girls go with Dan or go yourself! My dad goes on backpacking trips every summer and I've been able to go with him 3-4 times. And those freeze dried dinners are actually pretty tasty :)

    ReplyDelete